Monday, October 24, 2011

So what?

As Pink sings: So what I'm still a rock star
I got my rock moves
And I don't need you
And guess what
I'm havin more fun
And now that were done
I'm gonna show you tonight
I'm alright
I'm just fine
And you're a tool so
So what
I am a rock star
I got my rock moves
And I don't want you tonight.....

OK, gang...why did I post these lyrics sung brilliantly by Pink? Well, as I sat in my happy place this morning sipping my coffee and preparing for the day, I received a call from an angry young man situated on a campus in the mountains. For 15 minutes he complained about the Lone Wolf. As the caffeine hit me faster than usual, I used my BP mom vernacular and took out the patented phrases:
"why do you care?"
"why are you letting him live in your mind rent-free?"
"can't you let this go?"
"how do you plan on surviving another 7 months?"
"get a grip and move on..."
"sigh....deep breath...let it go....time to move on....this is crazy..."
"You are going to have to find a way to deal with it..."
"did you eat any vegetables this weekend?" oops...that question was from my patented 'I care about you because I am your mother and you need to eat your veggies file...'

Back to LW.....I am through with this mess. He is going to have to 'man up' and deal with the decision that he callously made 6 months ago when he cavalierly stated: "I can handle him." If this is handling him, then "NASA, we have a problem".

No matter what I have advised him to do, he did not heed the warning and moved on with his own decisions. And so it goes...on and on and on and on.....I think that I am going to develop a tape of mom-isms for when he calls.

Mom-ism 1: "uh huh, uh huh...yep...this is unfair...you're right...the world has conspired against you and only you..."

Mom-ism 2: "Yep, the teacher hates you...."

Mom-ism 3: "I never thought that LW would selfishly make your life miserable. It never crossed my mind."

Mom-ism 4: "You're tired from training? That is indeed a surprise as you live out your dream to play D-1 college baseball."

Mom-ism 5: "Someone punched you and broke your phone in an alcohol-related brawl? What a shock!"

Mom-ism 6: "You opened the book, studied for the test, and earned a B+? What an intelligent thing to do. I must share this with my students."

And so it goes....I may make a mp3 tape of my voice and send it to him to download onto his iPod. When the dust settles, he needs someone safe to vent his frustrations. He can call me anytime (and he has). My crucial role is to listen, not joke, and share with him that someone loves him...you know, the person who makes the magical stuffed cupcakes....

enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment