Monday, June 25, 2012

A really long time

Good morning! It's Monday AND Bullpen mom's parent's anniversary...57 years...a long time...really long time to hang out with one person...day and night...night and day....that's 20,805 days (and nights)....241 dog years...yeah...a long time...did I say a long time? I am impressed.

I read a neat article a month ago about a 90+ year old couple who was celebrating their 70+ anniversary. They live in their original home, dance once a week, and can be found together...always. Once again...this is a very long time.

With BP Grandpop and Grandmom, I have witnessed a deep and abiding love for one another. They hold hands when walking or are together and can complete each other's sentences. A few weeks ago, I joined them in the mall to select some outfits for Grandmom. Naturally, Grandpop was there and holding the clothes. He looked at each outfit and commented on the color scheme and how it would look on her. In another world, I would think that it was controlling but in their world, he is looking at his beloved and what would look the best on her while picking up her unique skin tone and color of her eyes. After she purchased the clothes, he would not let me carry the bags, because it is his job. Back off BPM, this is my girl and I will help her.

Kind of nice, huh? With that said, they have raised 6 children, have 10 grandchildren and 1 great-Cupcake. They live in the original house with an open door policy. Children and grandchildren enter the home at different times and are always greeted with hug, kiss, and food. No matter the time of day or night, we are welcome in our family home. It's nice...comforting and comfortable. They never send anyone away hungry and the house is always open for a gathering, conversation, meal, or celebration.

I have loved the way that they raised us with wings and roots....57 years of love, commitment, hardships, and companionship.....wow....By the way, they go to Mass every day...sometimes twice a day if there is a church activity in the afternoon or evening.....role models for all of us...never raising their voices to us or one another, they live the way a committed couple should as they look at for each other's best interest while providing a place to escape for all of us. I am blessed to have them in my life and in the lives of my children. Their witness to what love is about is the example of love that I want my kids to emulate. Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad and many many more!


No comments:

Post a Comment