Friday, July 20, 2012

May I sample.....

Rain! Boy, do we need it!

Last night Big Sis, Sparky, and I attended the Best of the Region Party celebrating the Baker's Best Tasting Cake....oh boy, is it!

The party was held in a large room with over 50 of the "best of's..." in our area. With an amazing band playing, people were partying, drinking, eating, shopping along with spending money to benefit the Children's Hospital. All in all, it was fairly overwhelming as Big Sis and I had way too many decisions to make. And so we begin with.....

Decision 1: Where do we start? I got a great idea....let's go and find the best martini! Yep, after searching, the best martini was made with the usual alcohol plus cotton candy. Sound gross? Yep, to me too, but since it had the label of being the best, I naturally had to try it. As the martini soaked the cotton candy, I could not believe that I was actually going to drink it. And drink it, I did. Hmmmm...tasty....although, not the best that I ever tasted, but now I can say that I had the best martini as voted by the readers of the magazine....



Decision 2: Let's try the best guacamole. Actually, this was a no-brainer since the best guac was located next to our table. My only complaint was that the chef did not give us enough home made chips. With that said, my stomach was very happy.....on to....



Decision 3: The best Italian food....stopping by that table, we were given a wild rice salad and some homemade tortellini. Can anyone say: "Yum!"....onto....



Decision 4: The best Asian food...after sampling dumplings and shrimp...we moved onto

Decision 5: The best Crab Cake Slider....if anyone offers you one of these delectable treats, take two....now it was time for....


Decision 6: The best outdoor relaxing on a patio drink....I think that it had lemonade and gin...I am pretty sure about the lemonade....

Decision 7: The best mini cupcake....the presentation was amazing, but believe it or not, I threw it out. Yep, I threw a cupcake out because it was too dry and had no flavor. Perhaps it was the lemonade gin that anesthetized my taste buds.....

Decision 8: Onto the quesadillas diagonal from our table....this was a three-peat. Sis and I stopped by that table three times. By the way, all of this food is tiny....one or two bites at the most....not full plates....don't think that I was grazing rather than sampling.....I am not that pathetic....on to

Decision 9: The best liquor store.....Yeah....there is the best liquor store so I tried an Arnold Palmer vodka....it was pretty good. What's an Arnold Palmer? It is a blend of lemonade and ice tea then honey laced vodka was added. Sensational! Again, the portions are tiny and not enough to fill a juice glass, but the flavors were amazing.

Decision 10: The rest of the night was manning the table, giving out cake, and drinking more of the gin lemonade. Big Sis was feeling the accumulating effects of samples and was now dancing by the table. This was certainly a sight.

As the evening wore down, one of my all time favorite DJ's entered the room. As I walked up to him, I realized how old he had gotten. Oy! He was one of my teen age memories as I listened to him on the radio during high school and college. I am glad that I did not get older....but this guy....sheesh!

As it was time to close up shop, our friends from the best guacamole table came over for one more piece of cake. As they put the leftover chips into their bins, they invited Big Sis and me for a final drink. Sure....whaddya got? The owner of the best guacamole pulls out tequila....OK, so where is the margarita mix? Nope, no mix...shots. Straight tequila shot? What am I, in college? grad school? out with the girls? Ah yeah...out with the girls...OK, let's do it. He poured the 4 shots and we toasted the best quac and cake promising that we would always be friends and meet once a year at the best of the region party....down it went....not easily.....not all of it....I secretly only had a tiny sip while the other three downed it in one gulp. Yum.....



And here I sit....with a tiny headache and lots of lingering, life long memories of hanging out with the girls, dancing, singing, eating, drinking, eating,  and handing out free samples of cake. By the way, it's true that we had multiple samples of the liquor, but the samples were tiny....very tiny....not enough to impair or inebriate especially over a period of five hours. The samples also were concocted of mostly the mixers and lemonade. I don't want anyone to get the impression that my life's dream is to be sloppy drunk in front of anyone. In fact, with the small sips and the food, we were giddy from the sugar high as opposed to alcohol intake.



With that said, I am looking forward to next year and the year after....and the year after....

Have a great day! Time for me to limp and roll to the treadmill....



No comments:

Post a Comment