Friday, December 21, 2012

Whoop-dee-do

Good morning! As Andy Williams sang:

It's the holiday season
so whoop-de-doo and dickory-dock
and don't forget to hang up your sock
'cuz just exactly at 12 o'clock
he'll be comin' down the chimney down

Yes, the holidays...time to eat the cannolis, make another batch of cookies, create brunch and multiple dinners, and relax with family and friends.

Is that doable? You know what I mean....relaxing with family and friends....Are the expectations too much to have the perfect season? Can the Rockwell image be achieved by running around crazy for three weeks before the event?

The answer is: I don't know....but what I do know is that family and friends come together to celebrate. Therefore rather than trying to create the un-creatable, perhaps we should identify what makes us happy when we gather and focus on that. I doubt if the cookie fest IV guests knew that my china was still in the cabinet because I did not have time to get it out. I think that they had fun anyway. It also seems that whenever I get the Waterford crystal out, I break a glass. No one else does it....me....I am the only one who breaks my crystal which leads me to some advice for brides....

Do not order the most expensive Lenox china or Waterford crystal on your lists. Instead get something that looks pretty but does not break when touched. Get something that you can put into the dishwasher and not have to wash by hand. I made a rookie mistake long ago and have paid for it since. Yep, I have the nicest stuff but I don't use it. I would rather have less expensive plates that do not break when a salad is loaded onto it. So, ladies and grooms, choose the dinnerware that is easy to clean and use it every day rather than dusting it off for holidays.

Ok, enough of a commercial. Yesterday, my little friend who has been stalking Buddy finally met his hero as they played baseball in the back yard. It was so cute as Lil D had his glove in his hand and one of Buddy's college hats on his head. I got a little misty as Lil D reminded me of my boy when he was that age. He would stand by the dugouts of the teams and beg for a ball or autograph and when he did not get it, he would cry. Uh-huh...he would cry. It meant that much to him. Lil D's mom was so grateful, but I was the one who enjoyed the ball game the most. In a way, Buddy was giving back and that is another not-so-random act of kindness. So we are down to 21 to complete before Christmas.

I had the opportunity to perform two acts yesterday, but nothing since. You can't sit in your house grading papers and be able to perform the 25 random acts of kindness in memory of the Sandy Hook victims, so I have to go out today and soon......I am also going to have to get creative and maybe double up at the airport when I drop Tink and dad off for their journey south.

There is a rule about these acts of kindness. They cannot be related to things that you normally do with the family and friends. So, you have to seek opportunities to put a smile on people's faces. Try it...'cuz it's the holiday season....whoop-dee-do!



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment