Sunday, April 7, 2013

Don't take my granola bar

It is a beautiful Sunday in the northeast and Tink and I are recovering after our epic trip to and from the mountains to watch a game yesterday.

Let's start with the specifics...with Weight Watchers 360 program, there are no Skittles on the menu so we brought Easter malt balls and  pretzel M&M's instead...

After driving three hours to the stadium, we were met at the box office with no tickets. That's right. According to the ticket agent, the big leftie forgot to leave us tickets (again)...now that this guy knows us, he just hands them to us and I make a face like I am gonna kill the big guy......

Tink and I are known for bringing our own granola snacks to the stadium. After all, I honestly cannot eat a hot dog or dry soft pretzel. So we bring our Kashi bars and wait for the 6th inning to eat them. Yet, one of the students who was manning the gate decided to go through my bag of contraband and tell me to get rid of my granola bars because nothing extra is allowed in the stadium! Nothing, eh...what if I needed insulin for diabetes? How about nitroglycerin of I have chest pain? Valium for anxiety? My rosary? Come on, dude...it's a granola bar. "No ma'm...league rules..." Really, a granola bar is on the list of contraband items? I was allowed to keep my orange Tic Tacs.


I knew already that this would not be a good game. So Tink and I switched our seats to a more sunny spot thinking that we could offer better mo jo....Nope.....and here is what happened.....

The team is on a 13 game losing streak. That's right. They have not won a game since they returned from Texas. I have sat through Bad News Bear baseball all season.....




Buddy has gotten into a handful of games and has not had great success like he had freshman year. Of course, the coach waits until bases are loaded with no outs, does not let him warm up and tells him to throw strikes....OK, what's wrong that that picture? I'll tell you...it is what happened in Ohio. They would not pitch him for a week, place him in the outfield and as he settles comfortably into the quiet of the night, they wake him, and tell him to strike the next three batters out. An amazing feat if you can do it....

An so, granola bar-less, Tink and I proceed to watch a game where there were more errors than runs. In fact, the infield had at least 7 errors......only 3 were recorded are were by the short stop but nonetheless, the errors were plentiful (unlike my granola bars). The fundamentals are missing from the team and according to the guy who was sitting behind me: "embarrassing..."

 

Tink and I made it through the game as we watched yet another loss and waited for the kid to join us. I was thinking about taking him to dinner for a steak and give him the contact lenses that he needed as well as the baked french toast that I brought for the guys....yet.....the coaches had another idea....
Immediately after the game, I asked him about dinner and his reply was.....you're gonna love it.....

"Mom, the coaches told us to go to the bars and relax and get back to our houses early....I can't join you. I am going to the bars with the guys....."

Hmmmm....yes, indeed. We are on the longest losing streak in history and the coaches suggest the guys get drunk...toasted....lit...inebriated.....sloppy drunk....but be home early for curfew.....OK and Mom and Tink who drove and brought goodies for the guys should go their merry way 'cause Dr. Coach prescribes vodka and cranberry juice for what ails them.....

How can I be "PC"? I guess that I can't so here is my rant....you have a losing team....they don't even know the fundamentals of the sport and I have not seen any swagger or confidence in weeks, so you send them to a bar? Yep...that's all I have to say on this one.

Not having the words to properly express myself, Tink and I got into the car and drove down the mountain. First, I stopped at a sandwich shop that had a big banner "Best sandwiches in the northeast." I was going to treat Tink to the best sandwich ever. Sadly, this shop was closed....so down the mountain we rolled with a granola bar in our hands. No one took it from us and it did not cause us to act silly or speed. In fact, it was just what the doctor ordered....have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment