Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Miracles take time

Good morning....I am a bit queasy today for a number of reasons....none of them have to do with an unexpected pregnancy.....that would be quite miraculous.....



Speaking of miracles....we need one to get the big guy into a game....why?



Welllll....

As you know, he did not pitch in the weekend series against a very lame team. He sat on the bench and breathed.

After the game, he was furious because he had been demoted. Is he being singled out? No necessarily, but the coaches obviously do not like him...at all....

And so, it took a day to settle down and convince him that he had to speak to the coach, although when he did, he was deactivated. So, what do you have to lose? You have hit bottom. There is no where lower to go, only up. So, sit and chat. Or at least try to....

Last night, Tink and I headed for the stadium with the understanding that the team that they were playing was another sub par D3 team masquerading as a D1 team. Nice. So, I figured that perhaps I would see my guy on the mound.....wrong!

I caught him looking  as grim as I have ever seen him. Flash to when we tried to enter the stadium, he never left tickets for us. When I was not able to convince the freshman behind the glass enclosure that I was indeed the big leftie's mom and am not trying to jump the fences to avoid paying, he refused to give me my complementary tickets. I looked at him and said: "Seriously?" Dude, my knuckleheaded son forgot to leave tickets. The stadium is empty except for a few philosophy and communications majors and a handful of parents. Give me my tickets. "No m'am, you are not on the list." Horrified, I dug into my pockets and found two crumpled five dollar bills....a miracle.....and paid my way into a game that I knew was going to be a blow out...and it was....did they put the leftie in?
 



Nope, in fact, I left during the 7th inning when I saw them warming the right fielder in the bullpen to pitch in the 8th. Yes, you have it right....he has dropped so low that even the right fielder enters games before he does....

Humiliating....

Anyway, as dad and I have have encouraged him during the last few weeks...go talk to the sports psychologist....he has dealt with this issue. I believe he is a great resource. And so, he went this morning....Guess what the shrink said? "You have to go to the coach. You are detached from the team."

Then the big guy asked him: "What does detached mean?"

The therapist said: "Aloof."



Oh....this is sort of true.  Sadly, I raised him wrong. You see....he developed over the years to be respectful of authority figures, quiet, thoughtful, and introspective. Therefore, he has a smaller circle of friends and does not offer much about himself to others. Also, he is so driven, he does not care for what others outside of his circle thinks....therefore, he is misunderstood.

Now he has to go to the coaches and explain himself and become "attached." Sheesh. Why can't performance be the gauge of competence and talent? Well, BP mom, it is not. It is not what you know; it is who you know....it is political....Sigh...



And so, he had the plan to speak to the coaches today...until it happened.....the unexpected, yet expected....

LW missed a lift this morning and his locker was cleaned out. He was cut from the team. A senior. A starter. A scholarship player....a left handed pitcher....

As such, the plan has been altered. He is keeping his head down....not talking to coaches until the dust settles from LW's empty locker. Once the coast is clear, he will speak to them. But how does a person go to an authority figure and convince them that he is a "fun guy"? I dunno....I leave it up to him.



Perhaps he can take them to a movie....

Have a paint gun party....

Go streaking throughout the locker room.....

Snap a wet towel on someone's bottom.....

Sing a Frank Sinatra song while standing on a bar with his underwear over his head.....

How about pulling out the weighted balls? No, scratch them off the list. They got him in trouble in the first place.



And so.....this is where he stands...trying to figure out how to be more engaging with the coaches. Does this mean kissing up? Well.....what do you think?

And now, I am off to yoga class. Yesterday, I hit a yoga/Pilates class (need to tone the ole core muscles) and was the doughiest person in the class. To use a John Pinette phrase: "I say nay nay!" And so, I am going to tone and be more limber if it kills me. Last week, the Pilates instructor needed to hold my legs as I tried to do a full body crunch with a weighted ball over my head.




Not only was I pathetic, I was mortified since I was the only person in class who could not crunch with the legs extended and hands extended over my head. These are the moments when I think that the only thing that will make me feel better is a Snickers bar....yet...it was Snickers that made me doughy in the first place....

To make you laugh, here is a John Pinette video. He's a riot. Enjoy!



Gotta go!

Peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment